Required Materials – not included in your class fee
- Professional Single Pigment Watercolor Paints – M. Graham or Daniel Smith Watercolors are recommended:
These are recommended colors most used in class and demonstrations. Most importantly, bring what you have and we will evaluate your color options concerning your palette; and then, desired color choices can be discussed. Student grade paints will not mix properly.
– Azo or Hansa Yellow or equivalent single pigment yellow
– Napthol or Pyrole Red or equivalent single pigment red
– Pthalo or Ultramarine Blue or equivalent single pigment blue
– Burnt Umber or Burnt Sienna
- (2) Different Papers –
- At least one sheet (22×30) of Global Art’s Fluid 100 Watercolor Paper or Arches 140lb, cold-press watercolor paper orGlobal Art’s Fluid 100 Watercolor block or an Arches block of cold press watercolor paper (at least 11×15 or larger)
- At least one sheet (22×30) or a 9 x12 pad of Global Art’s Fluid Watercolor Paper, 140lb, cold-press watercolor paper or other student grade papers.
Equipment to bring yourself:
- Brushes – Appropriate soft bristle watercolor brushes in various sizes and shapes; including:1) ½” flat wash
2) #8 or #10 (medium) round brush
If you have some art brushes please bring them to the first day of class so we can evaluate them.
- Watercolor Palette – A palette with a large mixing area, cover and compartments to keep the paint separated.
- Art Board – (hardboard, sealed hardwood or gatorboard) to attach individual sheets to while painting on the paper
- Water Containers -In studio containers will be available for use but please bring 2 or 3 suitable flat bottomed containers
- Drying Equipment – Paper towels, sponges (natural and/or cello) and/or facial tissues
- Straight Edge/ Ruler – 12″ minimum, 18″ – 24″ preferred
- Drawing Pencil
- Mounting Tape – Blue painters tape 1” in width
- Tilt Support & Table Cover – Large towel to lie down as a table covering/work area
- An Apron – Some paint pigments are staining to clothing
- A Sketchbook for notes and sketches (9″x12″ approx.)