- This event has passed.
Gamblin Oil Paint Demo with Scott Gellatly
October 16, 2015 @ 3:00 PM - 5:00 PM$10.00
Meet Scott Gellatly, product manager of Gamblin Artist Colors & fine artist. He will present a demonstration of Gamblin oil paints and mediums and their many uses on Friday, the 16th of October at the Art Store. The demo is expected to start at 3pm.
This entire line of archival painting products is the most popular oil paint in the Art Store. One of the reasons is due to Mr. Gellatly’s technical experience. Call Gamblin and you will probably be discussing their products with him. Come to this demo and you will be able to ask your questions directly.
Cost is $10.00 per attendee. This $10.00 fee will be placed on your Art Store account to be used in the store towards a future class, materials or other Art Store services. Ages 16+. **Maximum: 25 attendees
Please remember to register at least three days prior to the start of this demo! We have limited seating as well as the need for more chairs if it is well attended.
To register for this demo, please contact us by phone at 928-443-0749. The demo is nearly sold out and all online ways of doing this is not allowed at this time due to fire code regulations.
You can also request to be added to our courtesy call list on any material workshop or class you wish to be contacted for by emailing us here or calling us at 928-443-0749.
Scott Gellatly is a landscape painter living and working in Portland, Oregon, and the Product Manager for Gamblin Artists Colors. He consults with oil painters worldwide on technical issues and is involved in developing and testing Gamblin oil colors and mediums. Scott has given presentations on oil painting materials throughout the U.S., Canada and Australia. He holds a Bachelor of Fine Arts from the University of Oregon and has exhibited his paintings throughout the West. His work can be seen at www.scottgellatly.com.
What Scott will be covering is the following:
Understanding Contemporary Oil Painting Materials
Since our founding, Gamblin Artists Colors has handcrafted luscious oil colors and contemporary mediums true to the working properties of traditional materials, yet safer and more permanent. Gamblin’s dedication to today’s oil painters extends beyond offering the finest possible materials – we believe in sharing our knowledge so painters can choose those materials that best support their own artistic visions.
Understanding Contemporary Oil Painting Materials, a 90 minute Lecture Demonstration will cover the following:
- Color Theory – 2-dimensional vs 3-dimensional Color Space
- Color Mixing – Navigating Color Space: Gamblin’s practical approach to color mixing
- Artist’s Oil Colors – Gamblin’s approach to color making
- Mineral vs Modern Pigments – How to create a personalized palette of colors
- Indirect vs Direct Techniques – Historical application of opaque and transparent colors
- FastMatte Alkyd Oil Colors – Benefits and uses of fast-drying, matte oil colors
- 1980 Oil Colors – True Color. Real Value.
- Painting Mediums – Choosing the right medium, including working properties and drying rates
- Building Permanent Paintings – Understanding Fat Over Lean
- Supports, Sizing and Grounds – How they affect color and permanence
- Gamvar Picture Varnish – Understanding contemporary varnishes and controlling surface quality
- Studio Safety – Create without compromise in a safe studioPlease don’t forget to bring a sketch/notebook and writing instrument for notes.All attendees will receive FREE Gamblin product and literature samples